Our back door was once a lovely door, I'm sure, but it has been a while. The paint it came with had been scoured away with sandy wind, what was left of the plastic muntins was yellowed, and the glass itself, while whole, threatened to fall out as more and more of the plastic casing broke away. It really made that back door area look worse than it needed to. So...we fixed it. We built a new window frame with scrap moulding. I didn't have enough of any one kind to do the whole thing so I thought I'd do a plain piece of wood for the apron at the bottom. It didn't look quite right so I added a little shelf/stool and I really liked it. We painted the whole thing a brightish blue. It's far from perfect but it makes a big difference and the cost was just about $7 for two cans of spray paint. Here's the after...I don't think I have any before pictures.
After finishing the door, the door step asked for a turn. The cement pad there is very uneven, so the flower pots (which aren't in this picture) look crooked, and in fact, are crooked. We don't want to invest a ton of money here since we're just renting, but if we could make it look better for a reasonable amount, we'd do it. I figured that if I could make a door step for less than $10, I'd do it. I got a small pile of used 2x4s at a garage sale for $5 so I thought we could make the step. I think it makes a big difference, but again, I have no before picture other than the one with the blue door. It didn't change our little place into a mansion, but it's an improvement, and that's what I was going for.
No comments:
Post a Comment