Last week Joey and I were lucky enough to coordinate his meetings and my work to take a trip up to Sundance, WY. That's in the northeast corner of the state and it is BEAUTIFUL. Rock Springs is, too, but it's a desert beautiful. Sundance is a foresty type of beautiful and I loved it.
We stopped at Devil's Tower which is a neat place. When we were there it was kind of cloudy and looked like it would storm soon. The drive up there was so pretty!
The next day we both went down to Newcastle, WY--me to meet with some people and Joey to tour a prison. After we were done we drove over to South Dakota through the beautiful Black Hills and looked at Mount Rushmore. It sounds a little silly, but we didn't go in the park. We had many miles to go and they charged $11 just to park (nothing wrong with that--it takes money to run the park) and then more to go in, and we'd only be able to stay a few minutes. The result was that we really didn't get a good picture but we got a good view and the drive was lovely.
Do you see George Washington's profile up there?
From there we drove up to Deadwood City...and if you've seen Calamity Jane, you know how much fun that is...("Oh, the Deadwood stage is a-rollin' on over the hills...where the Injun [period term that wouldn't be used today] arrows are thicker'n porcupine quills! Something SOMETHING, no time to delay! Whip crack away, whip crack away, whip crack away!")
Now there are mostly small stakes casinos and steak houses. We tried the latter and not the former.
The next day after we were done with meetings and work we drove from Sundance to Powell, WY through the beautiful Big Horn mountains and Ten Sleep, Buffalo, and other pretty towns. I liked every one of them. The canyon before Ten Sleep is so pretty! We loved it, but for some reason we didn't take a picture.
The next morning we went up to Northwest College where Joey had done some schooling and we were lucky to run into some of his professors who were happy to see him and catch up. The campus is lovely and so is the town and I think we'll have a farm up there someday. It's a shame I didn't have the camera when we were on campus.
From Powell we went to Cody and past the Buffalo Bill Cody Dam which is pretty impressive, then drove down through Yellowstone and Teton parks. We had a wonderful time!
Buffalo Bill Cody Dam
Buffalo Bill Cody Reservoir
Hot Springs in Yellowstone
By Yellowstone Lake
By Old Faithful
The Tetons
Kendall and I sure enjoyed that region up by Devil's Tower and Deadwood too. Pretty!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a trip! You guys are so adventurous, wish I could have been there. Especially for Deadwood City, I would sang with you the whole way :)
ReplyDelete