Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sprouting

One of the millions of neat things that my mother does is to make her own sprouts.  It's pretty simple and everyone thinks, yeah, I could do that...and they could but they don't.  I made a request from her for a bridal shower gift of a sprouting kit and she gave it to me.  Here's how it works:

First you need a jar and a screen.  I think that mom used an old window screen and cleaned it up, but you could use a sieve or maybe just punch a lot of holes in the lid of your jar or use a bit of tulle (or however you spell that--the tu-tu stuff, you know) or cheesecloth.  You'll just need something that the alfalfa seed can't get through when you're rinsing and straining.  You just need enough to go over the jar top.  A quart jar is great and it's nice to have a wider mouth.  Mine is small, but no complaints.

First, you soak a tablespoon of alfalfa seed over night.

Then every day for the next few days you rinse it out and keep letting it grow.  It takes about 4 or 5 days to be usable.  Then you put it in the fridge.  It's really handy to have a couple of jars so you always have some available, but unless you're really an avid alfalfa eater, there's probably no reason to do that.

Here are some pictures of the process:
Bag of alfalfa seed and jar.  Also, please notice that my stove is very clean.
Alfalfa ready to soak.
After first night.

After 1 day.

After two days.

After 3 days.

After 4 days.  I had some of this on a tuna sandwich and it was wonderful.


After five days.  Now I'll keep it in the refrigerator.



Pretty neat, huh?  Now you can have fresh grown garden vegetables anywhere.  There really is no excuse anymore.  









7 comments:

  1. I want to do that! But where do you get the alfalfa seeds and what do you mean by "rinse out once a day and let grow"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your stove looks so...so...what's the word? Clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not just sure where you'd get the seed. I'll bet any of those tofu and whole foods store would have sprouting seeds. Here's where we get ours, I think: http://waltonfeed.com/category/3. I've only done alfalfa, but there are so many other possibilities! Here's another site: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/seed.htm.
    I'd like to try doing sunflower sprouts--I love them!



    And thanks for noticing my stove! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and to rinse and let grow, you fill your container with water and then swish around the seeds or baby sprouts and then drain the water. Do this as many times as it takes to get the water clear. At the beginning you'll need to rinse more. Then kind of roll your jar so the seeds or sprouts kind of stick to the sides so there's more surface area for the sprouts. As they get bigger they'll tend to clump more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DISGUSTING! I don't think I could do this because the beginning stages look so horrid. Could you maybe do it for me and then mail me the sprouts? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disgusting? Well, I guess if you think of them as little worms or something, it's pretty gross, but think of them as baby plants and you'll pull through, soldier.
    Now that I think of it, I once had a nightmare of a closet full of little white worms. I woke up screaming. All the dreams I ever wake up screaming about are insect dreams. Weird.

    ReplyDelete